Conversations with my Father (A day in the park)- Part II

As I was sitting in the park with my dad on 34th street, a young guy probably in his mid-twenties is sitting on the bench across from us with a bouquet of flowers in his hands, and he seems to be waiting for "her"... I leave my dad for a bit to get some coffee and when I come back the guy is still sitting there, looking more hopeless and disappointed...

Me: Tala3 dad... shekelo 7al2etlo.
Dad: I know... tab 7ada 7akalo 2y7eb!
Me: 3injad taess 2eli b7eb
Dad: Zay ma by2olo "ma boktol 2ela el 7ob!"... Shayefa habibti ma 3omerk 2et 7bi 7ada aktar men ma howa b7ebek... always let them come to you... if you let them come to you they will never leave you... they will always want more.

I am then silent. Not sure how to respond to his comment or if I even should. I am not accustomed to having these kinds of conversations with my father. However, I felt tempted to share that part of my life with him... I thought about the times I was in love wanted to share that with him... and the times that I was disappointed with love and wanted him to comfort me... Even though I was never able to directly speak to my father about these topics, he always knew when I was in love... and when I was let down by love... and he would always try to comfort me the best way he knew how... whether it was making me tea with na3na3 or making me vigorously clean the house to distract myself.

We then continue to talk...

Dad: Ya3ni wen I was young, ya I was in love... but zay ma by2olo I never lost any sleep over anyone.
Me: Haha... Why not?
Dad: I don't know... I was just never like that... 2ly ma byel7a2ni ana ma bal7a2o... bs el banat kano daymen la72ni...
Me: haha... wallah neyalak dad
Dad: Well, I was always charming to them bs ma konet desperate w al7a2.
Me: yeah, I can see how women could find you irresistible (sarcastically).
Dad: So you want to head home? Or do you want to wait and see what will happen with this guy (the flower guy)?
Me: Ummm, why don't we stay for a little longer... I'm curious to see what is going to happen.
Dad: He is so stupid... a7salo 2yby3li el flowers

Twenty minutes later....

Dad: Yallah habibti, sheklha mish ra7 tozbot el sha'3la ma3o, lets go home
Me: Yah... I actually feel bad for him....
Dad: Tab lesh ma tro7i to23di ma30 (sarcastically)
Me: I don't feel that bad for him

As we make our way home, we pass by the flower guy and my father then asks him if the flowers are for sale... the flower guy says "No, they're not"... my dad then smiles and says as he continue to walk, "Well, you know you are better off selling them".

Comments

Popular Posts